Common Hard Disk Problems and Their Solutions
Published on: June 20th, 2015
The hard disk, or disk drive, for your computer is the component responsible for storage. When your hard disk stops working, it can render your entire computer nonfunctional.
If you are experiencing hard disk problems with your PC or Mac computer, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try at home.
Top Hard Disk Drive Troubleshooting Tips
Below you will find a list of some of the most common hard disk issues affecting Macs and PCs as well as some tips for troubleshooting those problems yourself.
- Physical Damage – Dropping, bumping or jarring your computer can lead to physical damage to your hard disk and other components. If you are using your computer when the damage occurs, it could lead to scratches or gouges in the disk as well as damage to magnetic surfaces. Once physical damage occurs to your disk drive, you don’t much choice but to repair or replace it.
- Mechanical Failure – The hard disk in your computer is one of the few mechanical (not electrical) parts, and it will eventually fail due to normal wear and tear. Some of the warning signs of mechanical failure include a strange noise, freezing and computer crashes.
- Logical Failure – Damage to the structure or software for your hard disk can be the result of malware, corrupted files or human error. In some cases, running a system restore will repair the damage, but you won’t be able to do that if your computer fails to boot up.
- Water Damage – Spilling water on your computer can be very damaging. The casing that holds your hard disk in place may provide some degree of protection, but it is not designed to repel water. Water damage can affect all of your computer’s electrical parts, not just the hard disk – it can also create electrical currents that end up doing more damage.
- Corrupted Files – If you don’t shut down your computer properly or if you don’t follow the right procedure to install new software, it could lead to corruption of the file in question. To remedy these problems, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but the damage to your hard disk may already be done.
If none of the troubleshooting tips listed above succeed in solving your hard disk problem, do not panic. You still have another option! The expert technicians at CT Chattanooga are ready and available to help you fix your PC or Mac. At CT Chattanooga, we offer free assessments as well as fast, affordable repair services for home computers and business computers too. We will have your PC or Mac up and running like new in no time at all.
You might also like
With an evolving business comes expanding technological needs. If your business is sending you any of these signs that it’s time to update your technology.